Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Off my perch

Something is wrong.... I listened to to the following speech by Pres-Elect Obama.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd8f9Zqap6U

and realized that I, like many Americans and other English-speakers, know what PTSD is even without having endured Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam or other traumatic incidents....

Here is what happened... My inner eye kept seeing shoulders pivoting ever so slightly in an anti-clockwise movement. I saw the right arm resting on the lectern the way guys do when they are squeezing in between other guys at crowded bars. I felt slight nausea as I saw Obama's face morph into the Bush smirk -- the one he uses when he is about to shaft that planet... again.... I saw his eyes shifting to the right, questioning his Mysterious Creator (Rove, perhaps?) qwhether his lying was coming across credibly....

And I was about to throw my expensive acer screen somewhere in the general direction of the window screaming "Nooooooooooo!" But I caught myself in time as I realized this was Barack Obama, he was sitting in his chair looking confidently at the camera and .... and what?

He was speaking in coherent sentences. He wasn't smiling while announcing some disaster... He was just giving the skinny on what was happening, the G20 getting together for a nice meal and some hopefully productive chatter (though I personally suspect a public colonoscopy).

Good start.

Relax, folks, we can actually listen to this man without cringing. It's been a long time.

No comments: